Wine Spectator: Smeriglio Merlot 2010......91points
Wine Spectator 2013: Smeriglio Syrah 2010 93 Points
August 2012 James Suckling: 94 point to Pinot Nero 2010 Baracchi "One of the best Pinot Noirs in Italy"
- traditional vineyard of Trebbiano layout of 3,200 vines per hectare (1295/acre) , while new plantings have 6.250 vines/hectare (2200/acre), on a 80x200 cm grid;
- south, south- west aspect of the vineyards
- cordone speronato with double lines training method, with fruiting cane pruned 4 buds and renewal
spur to 2 buds
- average yield per vine about 1 kg
- trunk height: 60 cm; canopy height: 160 cm , the vines are treated using copper and sulphur powder, especially during the raining season
May: manual de-suckering of the trunk and attachment of shoots to trellising.
July: initial foliage hedging.
August: cluster-thinning, if necessary.
- hand-harvesting, in separate passes depending on grape variety, microclimate, and ripening parameters (phenolic, sugar, acid, pH levels) and the grape is disposed in small cases.
- the vineyards are treated as independent productive units, each one distinct according to climate, altitude, aspect, microclimate, soil composition, and variety